I take Lydia’s warning about the danger of the Orthosphere being derailed by internet kooks very seriously. She is certainly right that the urge to shock is something that should not be gratified for its own sake. That is self-indulgent, and self-indulgence that sabotages spreading the Gospel is a serious matter. She is also to be applauded for criticizing reactionaries for our arrogance in looking down on mainstream conservatives who are fighting the good fight on abortion and marriage.
This puts me in a bind, though. I’m clearly the kookiest, most unnecessarily extreme writer for the Orthosphere. I have worried before that my unrestrained radicalism might be turning some people off who might otherwise have profited from Kristor’s and Alan’s theological writings. I also realize that my grammar and writing style aren’t up to the standards of the other writers. Maybe I should just shut up? No, that won’t work. I’ve got the blogging itch, and I routinely feel the urge to mouth off on forbidden topics.
So I’ve decided to revive this site and split my output. This site has about a tenth the readership of the Orthosphere, and no one else’s reputation will be blackened by anything I write here. Therefore, I will send posts here instead of the Orthosphere if
- I am taking a position that I think would not be shared by most of the other Orthosphere contributors
- I feel the need to say uncomplimentary things about Democratic client groups
- I want to write about something that has nothing to do with Christianity or Reaction
- (subset of 3) I want to make a personal announcement
- I write something short and sloppy, and I don’t want to take the time to polish it.
Filed under: Uncategorized |